Janet Jackson says she and Timberlake ‘have moved on’ from Super Bowl scandal

A split image of Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson
Singers Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson carried out collectively on the 2004 Tremendous Bowl.
(Brad Barket / Evan Agostini / Invision/AP)

Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake “have moved on” from their 2004 Tremendous Bowl scandal, in response to the “Rhythm Nation” hitmaker. And he or she desires the general public to maneuver on too.

Within the fourth a part of her eponymous documentary sequence, launched Saturday on Lifetime, Jackson opened up in regards to the fallout from the 2004 halftime present, throughout which Timberlake by accident uncovered her breast by tearing away a bit of her costume.

After discussing the toll the incident took on her psychological well being and profession at size, the pop musician set the file straight about her relationship with Timberlake in a video message filmed this yr in Miami.

“Truthfully, this complete factor was blown means out of proportion,” Jackson says within the latest footage.

“It was an accident that ought to not have occurred, however everyone seems to be in search of somebody in charge, and that’s acquired to cease. Justin and I are excellent associates, and we'll at all times be excellent associates. We spoke only a few days in the past, and he and I've moved on, and it's time for everybody else to do the identical.”

Final yr, Timberlake publicly apologized to Jackson after the FX documentary “Framing Britney Spears” landed him in sizzling water. Within the wake of the doc’s launch, many accused the “Cry Me a River” artist of mistreating his ex-girlfriend, Spears, in addition to Jackson throughout their shared time within the limelight.

After the notorious Tremendous Bowl wardrobe malfunction, Jackson shouldered a lot of the blame and damaging penalties, whereas Timberlake’s profession continued to flourish. That yr, for instance, the Recording Academy banned Jackson from attending the Grammy Awards however invited Timberlake to carry out on the ceremony.

“I particularly wish to apologize to Britney Spears and Janet Jackson each individually, as a result of I look after and respect these ladies and I do know I failed,” Timberlake mentioned final February in a press release.

“The business is flawed. It units males, particularly white males, up for fulfillment. It’s designed this manner. As a person in a privileged place I've to be vocal about this. Due to my ignorance, I didn’t acknowledge it for all that it was whereas it was taking place in my very own life however I don't wish to ever profit from others being pulled down once more.”

The Lifetime docuseries additionally reveals that Timberlake requested Jackson to visitor star in his 2018 Tremendous Bowl efficiency, however the “Collectively Once more” singer declined. The pair of recording artists first met when Timberlake’s former boyband NSYNC opened for Jackson on tour in 1998.

“Once I give it some thought, would it not be good to have the ability to carry out? Sure,” Jackson says within the doc of Timberlake’s provide.

“You realize our household — we love entertaining. However on the flip facet of it, it’s dredging up the previous, reliving one thing that occurred over 10 years in the past.”

After the 2004 Tremendous Bowl halftime present ended, Timberlake requested Jackson for recommendation on how to answer the media frenzy, the “Velvet Rope” artist provides within the doc. She suggested him to not reply in any respect.

“We talked as soon as, and he mentioned, ‘I don’t know if I ought to come out and make a press release,’” she remembers. “I mentioned, ‘Hear, I don’t need any drama for you. They’re aiming all of this at me. ... If I had been you, I wouldn’t say something.’”

Jackson additionally mirrored on the damaging impact the occasion had on her popularity and her well-known household, in addition to how she managed to deal with the negativity.

“Loads of it I didn't see, however clearly you couldn’t get away from it as a result of it was all over the place,” she says.

“It may take a toll on you emotionally, so I simply stayed centered in my work, stayed near associates, stayed in contact with household. And that was sufficient for me to drag by when you've got everybody whispering about you, and nearly all of it isn't favorable. That may pull you to a distinct place.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post