Letters to the Editor: Confronting racism in school with an ‘is that all you got’ attitude

A view of the entrance to Laguna Hills High School
The doorway to Laguna Hills Excessive Faculty, the place a scholar was recorded yelling racial slurs at a Black basketball participant.
(Gustavo Arellano / Los Angeles Occasions)

To the editor: As a product of Okay-12 schooling in Orange County who's Black and feminine, I need to say that I had an general good expertise at school within the Eighties and ‘90s — and never as a result of the type of discrimination mentioned by columnist Gustavo Arellano didn’t exist.

I used to be instilled with a way of unshakable resolve and delight by a father who was bused to high school within the Fifties and ‘60s in Birmingham, Ala., within the throes of the civil rights motion, and a mom who was a product of the Nice Migration. The delight of the better Black group poured into me constantly.

Definitely, I had cases the place I felt handled in a different way by college employees and was subjected to name-calling by my friends. At instances, standing out didn’t really feel so nice. Early on I realized to advocate for myself, and when that wasn’t sufficient I enlisted my mom who would instantly come all the way down to the varsity.

Finally, I met any detrimental remedy with an “is that each one you bought” angle and a way of delight that also serves me at this time and informs how I increase my son.

Carla Roberts, Anaheim

..

To the editor: As a trainer at Fremont Junior Excessive in Anaheim from 1967-79, I used to be very dismayed by Arellano’s piece about racist taunting and bullying at Orange County faculties. That is unhappy however not likely stunning given what I learn day by day.

These incidents did occur, however our Fremont employees, significantly within the ‘70s, labored onerous to grasp the backgrounds of our college students. We had workshops, seminars, conferences and different conferences to study our multicultural scholar physique.

I'm not claiming that this coaching struck a chord with your entire employees, however when Fremont closed, most of our employees transferred to different Anaheim faculties and did our greatest to place into follow what we had realized.

Clearly, there's nonetheless plenty of work to be executed in all places and never simply in Orange County. I assume that's the reason we hold making an attempt and don’t quit hope.

Cora Johnson, Minden, Nev.

..

To the editor: Arellano’s column highlights an underappreciated characteristic of racism — the extent to which college students of coloration themselves have been keen individuals in incidents the place they're the targets of racist conduct by whites, and simply as disturbing, incidents the place one racial or ethnic group targets one other.

Removed from such actions being “jokes” or meaningless youthful pranks, what they reveal is the extent to which white superiority views get internalized by college students of coloration themselves. As long as some younger folks of coloration develop up with emotions of inferiority to whites, unconscious although it might be, the ugly edifice of racism will exist.

To get rid of this scourge, each the actions of the racists and the psychic results on their targets have to be addressed.

Agustin Medina, South Pasadena

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post