Letters to the Editor: Why do anti-vaxxers even show up at hospitals when they get COVID?

A patient in a hospital bed.
A COVID-19 affected person within the ICU at Windfall St. Jude Medical Heart in Fullerton on Dec. 25, 2020.
(Los Angeles Instances)

To the editor: How a few quite simple reply to the anti-vaxxers after they inevitably contract COVID-19? Simply don’t come to the hospital in case you are in denial that you've got the illness. (“Anti-vaccine sufferers vent anger on healthcare staff like me. It takes a toll on care,” Opinion, Jan. 20)

When you don’t belief the folks attempting to save lots of your life, keep dwelling and difficult it out. When you insist you don’t have COVID-19, stop being egocentric by taking the mattress of an individual struggling a coronary heart assault or, on this insane nation, accidents from a gunshot wound.

Sufficient of your nonsense. You’re conserving us caught on this pandemic.

And as for Dr. Venktesh Ramnath, who has been accosted by anti-vaccine COVID-19 sufferers and their households, I’m sorry that you simply and your colleagues should put up with these belligerent folks desperately ailing from this scourge.

Mike Aguilar, Costa Mesa

..

To the editor: Lengthy earlier than COVID-19 appeared, I used to be admitted to an area hospital as a result of I couldn’t breathe. Being advised that you simply want open-heart surgical procedure to switch you aortic valve is just not nice. But it surely quickly turned evident that my survival would depend upon my willingness to just accept assist and do what was required.

I quickly discovered that I wanted to type a partnership with my docs, none of whom I had met earlier than. These expert medical personnel scheduled exams, provided detailed explanations and described the parameters of my therapy. I requested many questions.

By the point of surgical procedure, I used to be conscious about the partnership that types between a affected person, a household and their healthcare staff. Our belief resulted in a profitable, life-changing process for me.

My late brother was a pulmonologist. I watched him and his fellow medical faculty graduates stand and take the oath to “first, do no hurt.” Sufferers and their households would do properly to belief that promise made by all docs, together with those struggling to save lots of these contaminated by the coronavirus.

Karen Scott Browdy, Fillmore

..

To the editor: Concerning the essential care doctor who was verbally attacked for 45 minutes by the household of an unvaccinated 42-year-old firefighter with respiratory failure, why didn’t the doctor simply finish the dialog after being handled with such disrespect when he was simply attempting to elucidate the state of affairs?

Nothing within the Hippocratic Oath states that a doctor has to resist such verbal abuse.

Ann C. Hayman, Westwood

..

To the editor: Instantly after studying Dr. Ramnath’s op-ed article on the inexcusable conduct of anti-vaccine sufferers, a quote usually attributed to Albert Einstein got here to thoughts: “Solely two issues are infinite — the universe and human stupidity, and I’m unsure in regards to the former.”

Rosemary Chiaverini, Sherman Oaks

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post