Curator AJ Girard is wearing sneakers to his debut art show, ‘Shattered Glass’

An illustration of AJ Girard for the Vibe Guide
AJ Girard’s buzzy debut artwork present, “Shattered Glass,” runs by way of Might 22 at Jeffrey Deitch.
(Micah Fluellen / Los Angeles Occasions)

AJ Girard is the form of curator who wears sneakers to the gallery. This has been an vital distinction amid his buzzy debut artwork present, “Shattered Glass,” which options greater than 40 worldwide artists of shade, together with L.A.'s Lauren Halsey and Fulton Leroy Washington (a.okay.a. Mr. Wash), at Jeffrey Deitch by way of Might 22.

With co-curator Melahn Frierson, director of Jeffrey Deitch Los Angeles, Girard is concentrated on creating an accessible area to indicate — and expertise — artwork. “This present is for teenagers and younger folks, Black and brown, who took buses and trains to locations in downtown to expertise excessive tradition,” Girard says.

The impartial curator and humanities educator has had a nonstop month. He shares how he’s been staying grounded by way of all of it.

Fill within the clean

fill in the blank

The mantra conserving me sane proper now could be:

answer 2

My L.A. completely satisfied place proper now could be:

answer 1

My fortunate sneaker proper now could be:

answer 3

To really feel like myself, I’ve been:

answer 4

The item I really like essentially the most proper now could be:

answer 5

One phrase that sums up this second:

answer 6

My playlist proper now

“93 ‘Til Infinity” by Souls of Mischief

“Binz” by Solange

“New Particular person, Identical Outdated Errors” by Tame Impala

“Go Loopy” by Chris Brown and Younger Thug

“Go away Me Alone” by Kari Fake

Screenshot my temper

A selfie that captures my temper proper now:

selfie

"[This photo is] joyful, it’s spring, a season of latest progress, and I really feel the smile exhibits the hope I’m embodying.”

The very last thing I wrote in my Notes app:

notes app

“I really like the half about ‘it’s not the place you are taking issues from, however the place you are taking them to.’”

The meme I can’t get out of my head:

meme

“Hopper painted the realities of American tradition turning into lonely at the moment. And like all basic artwork, it’s nonetheless related.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post