Letters to the Editor: Here’s how I survived driving in Central Valley tule fog. Don’t try it

Tule fog in the Central Valley
Satellite tv for pc imagery reveals California’s Central Valley shrouded in tule fog, a frequent incidence in the course of the winter.
(Los Angeles Instances)

To the editor: Your Column One on Central California’s tule fog took me again to a loopy evening in the course of the early days of my radio profession within the Tulare County city of Porterville. My roommate and I labored the late shift and have been charged with shutting KTIP Radio down at midnight earlier than we headed residence.

That evening we walked out to the car parking zone, we actually couldn’t see our arms in entrance of our faces. Curiously, if we jumped within the air, there was no fog above our heads, in order that’s how we made our option to my automobile. Driving can be one other story.

My roommate was sensible within the methods of tule fog, so he knew what to do. He sat on the passenger facet window body together with his toes on the seat in order that he, above the fog, might information me vocally down the six blocks from the station to our residence. We drove proper down the center of the empty road that evening very slowly.

On one other event, I known as the state group faculty soccer championship recreation in Bakersfield because the tule fog got here in. From the press field, all I might see have been the tops of gamers’ helmets coming up and down. I ended up calling the sport from the sector right into a cassette recorder — an expertise that got here in useful after I later known as the “fog bowl” for USC and Oregon State in 2004, additionally from the sector.

Reporter Diana Marcum isn’t kidding when she says that the primary rule of driving in that stuff is: Don’t. I wouldn’t suggest anybody following in my tire tracks.

Pete Arbogast, Venice Seashore

The author is the radio play-by-play caller for USC soccer.

..

To the editor: Because of Marcum and illustrator Paul Duginski for bringing again recollections of the impenetrable fog that swathed my hometown of Bakersfield all through my childhood winters.

Stunning, sure; treacherous, after all.

But additionally for my sister, pals and I, tule fog was a sort of benevolent spirit that bestowed scrumptious hours of sleeping in when these magical phrases “fog delay” sang from our dad and mom’ a.m. radios.

Too thick for a faculty bus or parental automobile to navigate, tule fog saved our colleges shuttered and our grateful selves in our heat beds till no less than 10 a.m., when the misty shroud lifted and the roads cleared.

Teddi Chichester, South Pasadena

..

To the editor: Marcum’s article introduced again many nostalgic recollections of rising up within the Central Valley. She hit lots of the highlights, however missed an vital one for all children — the two-hour college delay.

These have been introduced over the radio and have been a faculty bus security measure and would delay the beginning of courses till the fog lifted round midmorning. These have been my favourite mornings.

Lisa Stenderup, Los Angeles

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post