She indulged in a cruise ship spa treatment, but the results were short-lived

The Sea Thermal Suite is at the heart of The Spa on Celebrity Edge.
(Tim Aylen)

Luxurious rooms lined the hallway forward of me. A lady or a person stood in every doorway beckoning; every needed to inform me a few service they may present.

For a number of moments I questioned whether or not I had taken a incorrect flip and wandered right into a chichi red-light district someplace.

No, I used to be undoubtedly in a cruise-ship spa, I assumed, strolling into the closest room, the place a lady urged me to strive a quartz desk therapeutic massage.

“Heat crystals will mould and form round your physique to launch muscle stress,” she mentioned. It will price solely $169 for a 50-minute remedy.

It was the primary of a number of pitches I heard as I explored the spa on Movie star Edge, a ship that debuted in December.

RELATED: Aboard the brand new Movie star Edge, I checked out its wow options »

Among the world’s toniest spas are actually positioned offshore on cruise ships like this one.

Every little thing in regards to the fantastically designed Edge spa is excessive: 22,000 sq. toes of area, 124 totally different remedies, a MedSpa that provides fillers and different therapies that may price hundreds of dollars.

Nevertheless it’s not all that totally different from different new cruise-ship spas.

In the present day each main cruise line presents wonderful spa services that embrace dozens of remedies, thermal suites, swimming pools, ice rooms, Turkish hammam steam baths, salons and health facilities.

Actually, most cruise ship spas are operated by the identical Miami-based firm, OneSpaWorld, which opened its first facility on Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth 2 greater than a half-a-century in the past. It now runs spas on greater than 160 cruise ships, together with Edge.

Cruisers love spas, and cruise traces love to supply these moneymakers. Costs often exceed these of land-based spas, not shocking when you think about there’s no competitors in the midst of the ocean.

The services are so fashionable that remedies generally guide up the day of embarkation, which is why skilled spa-goers rush to register for remedies once they board, even earlier than going to see their cabins.

The Spa on Celebrity Edge offers guests a number of treatments, each ending with sound therapy.
(Tim Aylen)

I used to be amongst those that hit the spa early on Movie star Edge. Keen passengers crowded inside to tour the power, study providers and make appointments. Equally keen technicians made their pitches, hoping to guide massages and promote merchandise.

After visiting the crystal therapeutic massage room, I finished on the acupuncturist’s suite for a session. “Stick out your tongue,” he instructed me. “Oh,” he mentioned, shaking his head after I did so.

“What?” I requested.

“In Chinese language drugs, tongue high quality signifies a prognosis in addition to signs,” he mentioned, including that he would inform me extra with a $169 remedy. I declined.

Subsequent on my tour was the MedSpa room, the place I discovered in regards to the ship’s aesthetic remedies: injectable fillers comparable to Botox, Restylane and Dysport to fight wrinkles, CoolSculpting to freeze fats away and Thermage to tighten pores and skin.

We had been on Nieuw Statendam’s maiden voyage. Right here’s what we found »

I regarded carefully on the Thermage before-and-after photos the MedSpa physician was holding. A lady’s double chin had seemingly disappeared.

“What about this?” I requested.

“That’s not for you,” he mentioned. “You’re past the place the place Thermage might assist.”

Ouch. I attempted to make myself really feel higher by excited about the cash I used to be saving by not having the $2,750 Thermage remedy.

Later that day I ran right into a fellow traveler who had been accepted for the remedy (sure, I used to be jealous) and paid huge bucks for it. My new acquaintance, a 46-year-old girl from Manhattan, had thought the payment was superb however was sad in regards to the $400 tip to the physician. She mentioned she didn’t assume she ought to should tip a health care provider and mentioned she hadn’t been instructed in regards to the gratuity.

A look at the Rainfall Water Therapy Room, which simulates rain showers and a waterfall.
(Steve Dunlop)

To the spa’s credit score, it refunded the cash when she complained later that day.

It additionally responded shortly to me after I requested for a refund.

I’d determined to guide a Go Smile tooth whitening remedy as a substitute of a therapeutic massage. It was $149; the least costly therapeutic massage price $169. Why not strive one thing that price much less and would last more than the consequences of a therapeutic massage?

After I used to be seated the technician instructed me the consequences would final just a few days until I spent $249 extra for Go Smile remedy packs that I'd apply twice each day to my tooth for a month.

“Then it would final for years,” she mentioned.

I instructed her no, then I mentioned sure, then I mentioned no once more.

I used to be at warfare with myself, primarily as a result of I used to be sad about being instructed I wanted to spend extra money. Then again, why ought to I'm going via an uncomfortable dental remedy for outcomes that lasted just a few days? I agreed to spend the extra cash.

Throughout the remedy, the technician dabbed one thing on my tooth, then darkened the room and targeted a superb mild on my tooth. After a number of minutes she got here again into the room, whipped out a hand mirror and instructed me to take a look at my tooth.

Seven takeaways from cruising the Mediterranean with 5 children »

Wow! They had been tremendous white. I used to be elated.

However my pleasure was short-lived. The brilliant-white look disappeared after I ate dinner.

“The results of a fast remedy like that wouldn’t final lengthy,” mentioned Dr. Ed Hewlett, a professor on the UCLA College of Dentistry. The mixed mild and bleach remedy would have prompted dehydration that made my tooth seem whiter, he mentioned.

“As quickly as you ate or drank, your tooth would have misplaced that look,” he added.

Hewlett mentioned cruise-ship whitening remedies, just like the whitening remedies now accessible in mall retailers, are too transient to be efficient and advisable custom-made whitening trays, accessible from dentists.

Regardless that my tooth had misplaced their authentic whiteness, I dutifully used my $259 Go Smile bleach for 2 weeks, stopping solely when my gums began to harm. My tooth regarded the identical as after I began.

Once I referred to as to ask for a refund, I used to be assured there can be no downside.

“For those who’re not glad together with your service, we refund the cash instantly,” mentioned Cristina Sorondo, advertising and marketing director for OneSpaWorld. “Our job is to guarantee that everybody leaves glad.”

She added that the corporate additionally has a full-time customer support division to assist passengers publish cruise. “Whether or not it’s a therapeutic massage or a facial or no matter it's, all the pieces is 100percentguaranteed,” she mentioned.

A therapeutic massage would have been the higher selection in any case.

What to know when contemplating spa remedies

For those who’ve questioned what to anticipate from a cruise ship spa remedy, right here’s a fast Spa 101 course:

►Determine upfront what packages and providers curiosity you, the Worldwide Spa Assn. suggests, and the way a lot you'll be able to afford to spend.

►Most spas supply remedies comparable to massages and facials, plus salon providers, health lessons, stress administration strategies, yoga and meditation.

►Massages and facials are the preferred remedies (a Swedish therapeutic massage is an effective place to begin for inexperienced persons), however extra unique providers that embrace using beauty fillers and beauty dentistry can be found on giant cruise ships. Learn the spa menu carefully, then ask questions.

►Appointments replenish early. Many individuals guide the primary day of a cruise.

►Arrive a minimum of 15-Half-hour earlier than your appointment to have ample time to get accustomed to the spa’s setting.

►You may request a male or feminine technician. And though most individuals put on nothing underneath their robes, it's possible you'll put on your underwear or ask for disposable ones.

►Some remedies might not be protected for you, relying on well being points you will have. For instance, dermatologists say folks with pores and skin issues comparable to dermatitis, psoriasis or perhaps a unhealthy sunburn run the chance of an infection from germ transmission from tables and baths. One other instance: seaweed wraps, which have a excessive iodine content material. Ask your doctor upfront in the event you’re excited about attempting one thing new.

►Some prospects says that technicians use high-pressure gross sales strategies after a remedy to promote merchandise. If you need to keep away from this, inform your technician upfront you don’t wish to buy something and also you don’t wish to hear why it is best to.

►Test your receipt: You’ve most likely already been billed for a gratuity, so it's possible you'll not wish to spend extra on a tip.

journey@latimes.com

@latimestravel

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post