First person: Carl Erskine remembers Jackie Robinson: ‘He stood his ground’

Carl Erskine, on the far right of the first row, celebrates a Brooklyn Dodgers victory in 1951.
Carl Erskine, on the far proper of the primary row, celebrates a Brooklyn Dodgers victory in 1951 with teammates and supervisor Charley Dressen, who's proven on Erskine’s proper. On Dressen’s proper is Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson.
(Related Press)

Jackie Robinson made his main league debut 75 years in the past Friday. He died 50 years in the past, and few followers alive at present can say they noticed Robinson play.

Carl Erskine noticed him play every single day. Robinson made his debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947, Erskine adopted in 1948, and the 2 remained teammates till Robinson retired after the 1956 season. When the Dodgers moved west in 1958, Erskine was the beginning — and profitable — pitcher within the staff’s first sport in Los Angeles.

Dodgers basic supervisor Department Rickey had warned Robinson he must flip the opposite cheek at each flip if he had been to succeed at breaking baseball’s colour barrier and proving a Black man may endure within the main leagues. Robinson turned endurance into excellence, and finally into a spot within the Corridor of Fame.

Erskine shared a clubhouse with Robinson then and shares his reminiscences with Los Angeles Occasions readers now. Erskine, 95, spoke with Occasions baseball columnist Invoice Shaikin from his dwelling in Anderson, Ind.

First up: the primary time he met Robinson.

I used to be within the minor leagues on the time. The massive membership, the true Dodgers, got here via to play us in an exhibition sport. After the sport was over, Jackie came to visit to our aspect of the sphere and mentioned, ‘The place’s Erskine?’ I went out and shook arms with Jackie. I had by no means met him earlier than. He mentioned, ‘Younger man, you’re not going to be within the minor leagues very lengthy with the best way you throw.’ That was an enormous enhance for me. Positive sufficient, by midseason, I had gained 15 video games, they usually known as me as much as the Dodgers.

I joined them in Pittsburgh, and the primary man to my locker was Jackie. He mentioned, ‘I informed you you couldn’t miss.’ We struck up a great friendship.

In Brooklyn, I got here out of the clubhouse sooner or later, and there was an space the place wives and members of the family may wait. Once I got here out of the clubhouse, Rachel and little Jackie (Robinson’s son) had been there. I simply walked over, the pure factor to do, and talked with them for a couple of minutes. The following day, Jackie mentioned he needed to thank me for what I did. I mentioned, ‘I didn’t pitch yesterday.’ He mentioned, ‘No, you walked over to speak, out in entrance of the gang, to speak with Jackie and Rachel.’ I used to be virtually embarrassed. I mentioned, ‘Jackie, don’t thank me for that. Shake my hand for a well-pitched sport.’ That was a pure factor for me to do. However he was impressed by that.

I had numerous good buddies rising up, Black youngsters in my neighborhood, and I by no means had any downside in any respect with that. Jackie requested me sooner or later, ‘How come you don’t have any downside with this black and white factor?’ I mentioned, ‘My greatest pal rising up, from 10 years previous on, was Johnny Wilson, a Black younger man in my neighborhood. In order that by no means was a problem with me, and it by no means will likely be.’ (Wilson grew as much as play for the Harlem Globetrotters.)

Brooklyn Dodgers players after a workout at Ebbets Field in New York in 1954.
Brooklyn Dodgers gamers, from left, Jim Gilliam, Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snider, Jackie Robinson, supervisor Walter Alston, Roy Campanella, Gil Hodgers, Carl Furillo, Billy Cox and Carl Erskine are proven after a exercise at Ebbets Discipline in New York in 1954.
(Jacob Harris / Related Press)

There have been some early experiences the place the resorts would say, ‘We don’t serve Black company.’ In a single occasion, Mr. Rickey mentioned, ‘Can he keep in my room with me?’ And that’s how they received by. As soon as Jackie received established within the league, most of that stuff went away.

In baseball, numerous nasty stuff comes out of the opposite dugout. And, whenever you’re on the street, from the followers within the stands.

Jackie took numerous warmth, however he dealt with it very nicely. I knew Robin Roberts of the Phillies. I had pitched in opposition to him many instances, and I received to be good associates with him off the sphere. He mentioned, ‘I informed our staff, we’ve been getting on Jackie, and it’s killing us. Let’s get off him, as a result of the extra we get on him, the extra he beats us.’ That was the best way Jackie was. All the warmth that he took simply energized him. He took it out on the bases.

He had a dignity about him. As robust as he was, and as fierce a participant as he was, he needed to make a promise to Mr. Rickey that he would by no means battle. I by no means noticed Jackie battle within the clubhouse, on the sphere, in a restaurant, anywhere. He promised Mr. Rickey he would by no means battle and, to my information, historical past can document that he by no means did. He was true to his phrase.

All of us on the staff watched how Jackie dealt with himself, in some very tight spots typically. He was very clever, very nicely spoken. He dealt with it. He took the sting off it. After which folks started to appreciate, this man is a category individual, and he’s an incredible participant. Any resentment form of pale away after they received to know Jackie and watch him play.

Carl Erskine pitches for the Brooklyn Dodgers against the New York Yankees in Game 5 of the 1952 World Series.
Carl Erskine pitches for the Brooklyn Dodgers in opposition to the New York Yankees in Sport 5 of the 1952 World Collection.
(Related Press)

I by no means noticed Jackie backhand a ball. He all the time was capable of get in entrance of the ball, even on a ball up the center, taking part in second base. The ball can be hit to his proper, and he would all the time be capable of get in entrance of the ball and make the play.

Jackie was so fast together with his arms and ft. That’s why he was a terrific baserunner. He was fast, and also you’ve received to separate that from being quick.

He saved my no-hitter. He made a play at third base, a ball hit by Willie Mays, that was to the left of him at third base. It will have been a base hit with virtually anyone there, however Jackie was so fast, and he stabbed that ball. It was hit fairly a methods to his left, and he turned it into a simple out.

Our nation was actually black and white. That’s the best way it was. It was a really distinct cultural divide. So with what Jackie did, folks noticed what a gentleman he was, and the way clever he was, and the way thrilling he was as a participant. He broke down plenty of social obstacles that had been ingrained in our society for a few centuries.

He didn’t push exhausting, however he stood his floor. He dealt with the press very nicely. He was a thinker. So he was conscious he was having fairly an influence on the sport of baseball, not solely as a participant however as a Black particular person.

I believe Jackie would have been actually happy that a Black participant turned a supervisor. I believe he’d say it is a good begin, however there’s loads of room left for development.

I admired Jackie. He didn’t must shrink back from anyone. He dealt with himself so nicely, with the press and with the followers. He was actually a Corridor of Famer.

I all the time thought it was attention-grabbing that, when Jackie went into the Corridor of Fame, it was very symbolic. The Corridor of Fame plaques are all the identical colour. They’re all bronze. That’s a symbolic message from the Corridor of Fame.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post