Olympian Allyson Felix announces she will retire after ‘one last run’ this season

U.S. track and field athlete Allyson Felix smiles after winning the bronze medal.
U.S. monitor and discipline athlete Allyson Felix smiles after successful the bronze medal within the 400m race on the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
(Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Instances)

Allyson Felix, who turned probably the most embellished American monitor and discipline athlete in Olympic competitors when she gained two medals final summer season on the pandemic-delayed Tokyo Video games, introduced by way of Instagram she is going to retire after “one final run” this season. Her feats will likely be tough to match.

Felix, 36, was born in Los Angeles and graduated from L.A. Baptist Excessive. She turned professional earlier than school however attended USC and earned a level in elementary schooling at her mom’s insistence. She competed in 5 Olympics, beginning in 2004, and gained seven gold medals, three silvers, and one bronze. She additionally has gained 19 medals (14-3-2) in outside world championship races. The world championships will likely be held this 12 months in Eugene, Ore., from July 15 via July 24.

“As a bit of woman they referred to as hen legs, by no means in my wildest goals would I've imagined I’d have a profession like this,” she stated in her publish. “I've a lot gratitude for this sport that has modified my life. I've given every little thing I've to working and for the primary time I’m unsure if I've something left to provide.”

Felix additionally has made a mark as an advocate for being pregnant look after Black ladies since she gave delivery to a untimely daughter, Camryn, in November 2018. She has testified earlier than Congress concerning the racial disparities in maternal well being care. She was among the many distinguished feminine athletes who criticized Nike’s insufficient insurance policies for pregnant ladies and she or he later co-founded a female-oriented footwear firm, Saysh.

She stated this season will likely be “merely about pleasure.” She added, “This season I’m working for girls. I’m working for a greater future for my daughter. I’m working for you. Extra to return on that, so keep tuned, however I’ll be sharing a collection of bulletins that I’m hoping will make the world higher for girls.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post