Op-Ed: Are you playing the ‘who gave me COVID’ blame game? It’s not healthy

Gloved fingers hold a positive result of a COVID-19 rapid antigen test
A optimistic COVID-19 fast antigen take a look at, within the foreground.
(Jakub Porzycki / Related Press)

Twenty-five months into the pandemic, I lastly caught COVID. It turned out that two-plus years of masking and distancing, Zoom dinner events and FaceTime holidays, canceled plans and postponed holidays solely delayed the inevitable. I’m sick too.

And right here on the fourth day of my isolation, I can say one factor with certainty: That is all of your fault.

I do know that sounds petty, however I can’t assist it. For some cause, I’ve spent a majority of my first 96 hours in quarantine attempting to determine who I can blame. The chances are countless.

Is it the one couple at my daughter’s day care who didn’t masks on the pastry breakfast final week? The scholar in my lecture whose N95 is eternally dipping under his nostril? The colleague whose YouTube suggestions counsel that she’s positively not vaccinated? Is it my ex-wife, who hosted the household at dinner final week and who examined optimistic earlier than I did? (I actually like that final idea.)

However after all, possibly I’m simply deflecting. As a result of whereas I used to be exceedingly cautious for the primary 22 months of the pandemic, because the New 12 months I’ve been, nicely, much less so.

I’m vaccinated and boosted, however in the previous few months I’ve eaten out, traveled and hosted associates for dinner. I attempted to take precautions in the course of the Omicron surge, however I used to be exhausted too. And when a bunch of my favourite bands performed exhibits in Boston in March, I did the prudent factor and went to each single one. So possibly the one particular person guilty is me.

We’re seeing a a lot grander train in deflection play out in India proper now. A brand new WHO report means that the virus has claimed as many as 4 million lives in that nation, however Prime Minister Narendra Modi is stymieing the report’s launch whereas sticking to his authorities’s official dying toll of 520,000. Apparently, I’m not the one one interested by blame.

All this has me reflecting on the work of the thinker Thomas Nagel, whose nice contribution to the sphere of ethics (with Bernard Williams) is an idea referred to as ethical luck. The concept boils all the way down to this: In a world the place a lot of our choices are formed by random likelihood, it’s awfully arduous to assign ethical duty.

His clearest instance entails drunk driving. Think about 100 individuals have one glass of wine too many earlier than getting right into a automotive to go away a cocktail party. Then think about that on the best way house, one will get into an accident that kills a toddler whereas the opposite 99 arrive safely. Whereas the latter group sleep soundly, the one will seemingly serve jail time and have a hellfire of condemnation rained on his head. However what actually is the ethical distinction between the one and the 99? There may be none: All of them made the very same resolution. Or relatively, the distinction is random likelihood.

At some degree, everyone knows this to be true. So why are we so desperate to blame?

Maybe the primary cause is as a result of it provides order to the universe. If the ills that befall us (or don’t) are the results of the choices we make — unhealthy or good — order is upheld and the whole lot is smart. If the other is true, the world begins to really feel like a crapshoot through which our lives and people of our family members are left to terrifying likelihood.

Casting blame might impose a way of order, however doing so comes at a steep value. The sociologist Kai Erikson mentioned as a lot in his early work on collective trauma. He found that if a neighborhood is beset by an act of God like an earthquake or a hurricane, the bonds tying it collectively are sometimes strengthened, at the least for a time. But when a neighborhood is struck by a human-made disaster — for which some particular person group is theoretically accountable — the neighborhood regularly falls aside. Mistrust reigns and acrimony festers.

So, I’m going to attempt to cease looking for my infector. Actually, I'll redouble my efforts to guard myself, my household and my neighborhood because the virus continues to unfold, and to encourage these round me to do the identical. I’ll cease attempting to put blame, and possibly preserve myself slightly saner within the course of.

Joshua Pederson is an affiliate professor of humanities at Boston College and the creator of “Sin Sick: Ethical Damage in Battle and Literature.” @joshua_pederson

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post