Commonwealth Games: England's Alex Yee wins triathlon gold to clinch first medal of Birmingham 2022

The 24-year-old chased down Hayden Wilde to clinch victory in 50 minutes 34 seconds, beating the New Zealander by 13 seconds with Australia’s Matthew Hauser three seconds additional again.

World primary Wilde congratulated him earlier than stepping apart, permitting the Englishman to cross the road alone.

A delighted Yee stated: "I'm simply comfortable. Simply weird that it is me doing this.

"I really feel extraordinarily grateful and proud to be a triathlete. It is an incredible day for triathlon and I really feel tremendous proud to be the winner of this occasion."

Alex Yee clinched the triathlon gold medal in Birmingham
Alex Yee clinched the triathlon gold medal in Birmingham
David Davies

Within the first day of the ladies's cricket occasion, Australia beat India by three wickets of their T20 match.

Georgia Taylor-Brown, representing England, gained silver within the girls's triathlon and Scot Beth Potter scooped bronze behind gold-medalist Flora Duffy, of Bermuda.

Taylor-Brown stated: "Actually laborious, the swim begin was odd. We did not know what was taking place, me and [gold-medal winner] Flora [Duffy] felt a bit mugged off. It was a bit chaotic.

"Flora stated she was going to go on the bike and I went along with her, though I'm not certain I did her a lot good and I used to be a bit flat on the run, I simply did not have the legs.

"Contemplating how I felt earlier than the race, I'm simply pleased with a silver medal.

"It is fairly muggy and sticky, they're robust situations and the course is so laborious on the run.

Georgia Taylor-Brown, representing England, won silver in the women's triathlon
Georgia Taylor-Brown, representing England, gained silver within the girls's triathlon
David Davies
Scot Beth Potter scooped bronze in the women's triathlon
Scot Beth Potter scooped bronze within the girls's triathlon
David Davies

"However the crowd was unbelievable, it gave me goosebumps. It is particular, however I'm bored of coming residence second to Flora, I used to be a bit gutted I could not copy [England men's gold-medal winner] Alex Yee and get gold however I'm pleased with silver at present.

"I'm having fun with each minute of this 12 months."

Whereas Scotland's Potter added: "I'm buzzing, simply comfortable to get Scotland a medal. I've been engaged on my bike this 12 months and it's paying off. I put numerous work on this winter and glad to be reaping the rewards.

"It was an actual goal to get a medal this 12 months and simply glad I may do this. I bought to the entrance within the swim and thought 'I'm simply going to go'."

The Video games kicked off with a bang on Thursday evening, as occasion organisers in Birmingham arrange a memorable opening ceremony.

Malala Yousafzai stated the younger athletes competing are a reminder that “each baby deserves the prospect to succeed in her full potential and pursue her wildest desires”.

And native icons Duran Duran have been the celebrities of the present as they finalised the night.

Greater than 5,000 athletes representing 72 nations and territories are competing in 280 medal occasions over a packed 11 days.

Girls's T20 cricket, 3x3 basketball and 3x3 wheelchair basketball are making their Video games debuts.

This 12 months's occasion options the most important variety of occasions for girls (136) and Para-sport athletes (42) in Video games historical past.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post