In Liberia, one woman’s singular fight against Ebola

Native medical doctors have been horrified. Fatu Kekula was attempting to look after her household, sick with Ebola, at dwelling utilizing nothing greater than plastic trash baggage, a raincoat purchased available in the market, boots, a surgical masks and gloves.

They known as, urging her to be wise.

“Medical doctors known as and instructed me to go away them proper alone and never go anyplace close to them,” the 22-year-old nursing pupil stated. “I couldn’t. They’re my solely household.

“When your loved ones get sick, you understand that the virus is lethal. However your loved ones is your loved ones.”

In latest months, Liberia has suffered a extreme scarcity of therapy beds, with many individuals turned away, compelled to go dwelling, dying horrible deaths and infecting members of the family who tried to assist them.

The beds scarcity has eased in latest days. However Fatu’s story is testomony to the grief and confusion members of the family really feel, when urged by authorities and well being staff to not contact sick members of the family. Most easily go into denial and deal with them anyway, with out taking precautions.

In August, Fatu’s father, Moses; mom, Victoria; sister Vivienne; and a younger cousin, Alfred Wennie, 14, who had been taken in by the Kekulas as a foster youngster, all fell desperately sick with Ebola. Daily, Fatu stated, she known as for an ambulance and begged for assist. For greater than two weeks, none got here.

“Nobody got here close to me. Nobody! I have been on their own, on their own,” she stated.

Her unorthodox answer helped shield her as she labored across the clock to avoid wasting them. It is probably not an choice that may be utilized extensively, nevertheless, as a result of most Liberians lack the information or assets to do what she did.

Fatu had been away at a relative’s dwelling in Grand Bassa County when her father, a 52-year-old administrator at a neighborhood clinic, obtained sick July 29. A couple of week earlier, he had been recognized with typhoid and given a mattress that had simply been vacated by an Ebola affected person within the clinic the place he labored.

His spouse, Victoria, despatched her 4 youngest foster kids away and did her greatest to look after him, however when he weakened dramatically, with vomiting and diarrhea, she known as Fatu dwelling Aug. 3.

Fatu and her sister, Vivienne, took Moses by taxi, 90 minutes on punishing roads, to Monrovia, however no Ebola therapy unit may take him. On the journey again, Fatu made her plan.

“Since I do know small, small drugs, I stated, ‘God, with my religion I’m going to get my father dwelling, and he’ll survive.’”

She arrange a makeshift isolation room in a spare unfinished room exterior the home. She purchased raincoats, rain boots, chlorine and different provides. Then she went to work.

When she entered her father’s therapy room she placed on socks, plastic baggage donned like waders, rain boots, 4 units of gloves, a coat, a masks and a plastic bag over her hair. He wouldn’t eat. Rigorously, she put in an intravenous drip. She poured rehydration liquids down his throat, drop by drop.

She gave him blood stress drugs, antibiotics, analgesics for his fever and splitting headache. She even gave him an antiretroviral drugs usually used to avoid wasting the lives of AIDS sufferers.

“He was stressed. I did his blood stress and it was very low, and I used to be afraid that he would possibly die,” she stated.

Moses Kekula was struggling to breathe, with a shattering headache, aches throughout his physique.

“I used to be virtually like giving up. I saved praying to outlive,” he recalled.

Per week later, simply as he was starting to indicate indicators of enchancment, his spouse grew to become sick. Then the illness struck daughter Vivienne and her cousin, who’d been despatched to dwell with them by his father, a farmer.

Across the clock, one or the opposite of them can be weakly calling Fatu for assist. She dozed quarter-hour right here, half-hour there.

“It was a bit troublesome for me to sleep as a result of on a regular basis they might name me, perhaps two of them would name me on the similar time. Each time I'd go right into a harmful room, I'd costume up,” she stated.

“The entire virus factor, it’s like carrying a child in your arms, as a result of it turns them into a toddler. You need to be sorry for them. You need to put your self into the sneakers of that individual and ask your self, ‘What if it have been me?’”

She went by 4 bins of surgical gloves, and baggage of raincoats. When she took off the clothes, she needed to shrug it off rigorously to keep away from touching the outside. She sprayed copiously with chlorinated water. She rigorously burned all of the waste.

She swiftly burned by the $600 in her checking account.

“My strategy was simply to deal with them primarily based on their signs. I by no means felt drained. I used to be combating for my household and their lives. I'd do it for different folks within the hospital so I knew I may do it for my household.”

On the 18th day, as Alfred’s situation swiftly declined, an ambulance arrived. She watched it depart along with her members of the family, worry gripping her coronary heart. Would she see them once more?

“I used to be anxious. I anxious rather a lot as a result of my total household went there. That they had the signs of the virus, and the virus had no remedy.”

She prayed as exhausting as she may that their Ebola assessments can be damaging. All would come again constructive.

Outdoors John F. Kennedy Medical Heart, Alfred collapsed, convulsing.

“He stated, ‘Aunty, I need to lie down,’” Victoria stated. There have been no beds inside, so Moses, Victoria, Vivienne and Alfred got mattresses lined up subsequent to every on the ground. Alfred’s pores and skin grew to become sizzling, he began bleeding from his mouth, convulsing once more.

When Victoria awoke the subsequent morning at 5, she noticed Alfred, her foster youngster, only a yard away on the subsequent mattress, drenched in blood from his head.

“I used to be afraid to the touch him,” she stated. “Then I noticed he wasn’t respiration.

“I cried. I stated ‘It’s a disgrace on me, as a result of I took any person’s youngster, a relative’s youngster, and he died in my arms.’”

Victoria’s well being declined sharply, she started ranting unintelligibly, her pores and skin broke out in a rash. However she would in the end survive.

After serving to her household, Fatu desires to unfold hope, passing her information on to different determined households. She addressed workshops organized by the Ministry of Well being, instructing folks find out how to use plastic baggage to guard themselves when there’s nothing else.

“I’m going to show them the issues I’ve already executed, as a result of I handled 4 folks, and just one died,” she stated.

Comply with @RobynDixon_LAT for information from Africa

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post