Dodgers Dugout: Farewell, Maury Wills

Maury Wills is safe at third as St. Louis' Ken Boyer takes the throw during a game in 1965.
Maury Wills is protected at third as St. Louis’ Ken Boyer takes the throw throughout a sport in 1965.
(Related Press)

Hello, and welcome to a different version of Dodgers Dugout. My identify is Houston Mitchell, and this subject is devoted to Maury Wills. We'll return to our common Dodgers protection Tuesday.

Maury Wills, who nearly single-handedly introduced the stolen base again to prominence in baseball, died Tuesday at his house in Sedona, Ariz. He was 89.

Making the information even sadder is that the Corridor of Fame Golden Days Period voting committee didn't vote him into the Corridor of Fame final 12 months, when he would have been round to take pleasure in it. I believe Wills finally will get in, and his household will have the ability to respect it, however not Wills.

And he must be in. And the Dodgers ought to have retired his quantity. I all the time have felt the Dodgers needs to be extra just like the Yankees on this regard, retiring numbers of gamers who have been crew legends even when they aren’t Corridor of Famers. And I’d make Wills and Fernando Valenzuela the primary to be honored that manner.

Having fun with this text?

Your assist helps us ship the information that issues most. Grow to be a Los Angeles Occasions subscriber.

However sufficient about that. Let’s have a good time Wills’ unimaginable life.

Wills was born Maurice Morning Wills on Oct. 2, 1932, in Washington, D.C. He was one of many 13 youngsters of Man Wills, born in 1900, and Mable Wills, born in 1902.

Wills starred in soccer and baseball in highschool, and signed with the Dodgers in 1950. The household hoped for a giant signing bonus. As a substitute, the provide was a brand new go well with for Maury, although the household finally squeezed $500 out of the Dodgers.

Wills was assigned to Class D Hornell in New York and commenced his stint within the minor leagues. It continued by means of 1951. And 1952. And 1953. And 1954. And 1955. And 1956. And 1957. And 1958. He wasn’t the perfect hitter in historical past, however when he reached triple-A Spokane in 1958, supervisor Bobby Bragan determined to make him a switch-hitter to benefit from his pace.

In his guide, “It Pays to Steal,” Wills wrote, “He took a giant curiosity in me and simply being round him made my baseball life price residing. I had nearly given up on myself. When he requested me to switch-hit, I mentioned, ‘Bobby, I’ll strive something as soon as.’ ”

Wills struggled a bit in 1958 whereas studying to switch-hit, ending with a .253 batting common. Within the spring of 1959, the Dodgers offered his contract to the Detroit Tigers. After just a few spring coaching video games, the Tigers despatched him again to the Dodgers, who once more assigned him to triple-A.

Then Wills bought a fortunate break. Pee Wee Reese had retired earlier than the 1959 season, and Don Zimmer was the Dodgers’ beginning shortstop. In June, Zimmer broke a toe. Bragan instructed the Dodgers it was time to provide Wills, who was hitting .313, a shot. Zimmer by no means bought the job again. Wills hit .260 with seven steals and performed stable protection because the Dodgers gained the NL pennant and confronted the Chicago White Sox within the World Collection. Wills performed in all six video games and hit .250 with a steal because the Dodgers gained the title.

That set the stage for a protracted Dodgers profession, as Wills led the NL in stolen bases from 1960 to 1965, together with a then-record-setting 104 in 1962, when Wills gained the MVP award. He performed in each one of many Dodgers’ 165 regular-season video games that 12 months (the Dodgers misplaced a three-game playoff in opposition to the Giants), a file for video games in a season that may in all probability by no means be damaged. Because the Dodgers bought deeper into the season, the wear-and-tear took a toll on Wills’ physique, as his legs and sides have been bruised from all the arduous sliding.

“His physique is so bruised he always seems to be as if he had simply crawled out of a airplane wreck,” Occasions columnist Jim Murray wrote. In his guide, Wills wrote, “Do I believe I’ll ever steal 104 bases once more? No, I can’t imagine I did it to today. I don’t see how I can ever come shut once more. The bodily beating I took is greater than I wish to endure.”

In 1963, he stole 40 bases and hit .302. The Dodgers swept the Yankees within the World Collection, with Wills going two for 15.

In 1964, he stole 53 bases. In 1965, 94. That was the final time he led the league.

From 1960 to ’65, listed here are the majors’ stolen base leaders:

Wills, 376
Luis Aparicio, 258
Lou Brock, 146
Willie Davis, 139
Vada Pinson, 137
Henry Aaron, 129
Frank Robinson, 115
Chuck Hinton, 109
Dick Howser, 102

Nobody else stole a minimum of 100 bases in that span.

From 1966 to ’70, 14 gamers stole a minimum of 100 bases. From 1971 to ’75, 22 gamers did it.

After successful the 1965 World Collection in opposition to the Minnesota Twins (Wills hit .367 with three steals), the Dodgers have been swept in embarrassing trend by the Baltimore Orioles within the 1966 World Collection. Wills went one for 13 within the postseason however had stolen 38 bases throughout the season and mentioned his proper knee actually damage.

Crew proprietor Walter O’Malley despatched his crew on a tour of Japan after the World Collection. Wills didn’t wish to go, O’Malley mentioned he needed to. Wills performed a few video games, then requested for permission to fly again to L.A. to have a health care provider have a look at his knee. His request was denied. He flew again anyway. However first he stopped in Hawaii for per week and appeared on stage at a few reveals by Don Ho. O’Malley wasn’t happy and wished Wills traded.

On Dec. 1, 1966, the Dodgers despatched Wills to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Bob Bailey and Gene Michael. The Montreal Expos took him within the enlargement draft and commenced their first (1969) season with Wills because the beginning shortstop. He hated Montreal and walked off the crew for a short while. After coming again, the Expos despatched him to the Dodgers together with Manny Mota for Ron Pretty and Paul Popovich. After hitting .222 with the Expos, Wills rebounded and hit .297 with 25 steals for L.A.

Wills final season was 1972, when he hit solely .129 in 72 video games. The Dodgers launched him after the season.

After his launch, Wills instructed Ross Newhan of The Occasions, “These items occur. I’ve had a advantageous profession. I’m blissful to have been a Dodger. I merely imagine that 1972 was not a real indication of what I can nonetheless do if I'm in form and energetic.”

Wills turned a broadcaster till the top of the 1980 season, when the Seattle Mariners employed him as supervisor. It was disastrous. Wills would name for relievers who hadn’t warmed up. In April 1981, he was suspended for 2 video games after ordering the grounds crew to enlarge the batter’s packing containers on the Kingdome making it a foot nearer to the mound. Wills ordered it as a result of the sport earlier than, Oakland supervisor Billy Martin complained that Seattle’s Tom Paciorek repeatedly stepped out of the batter’s field whereas hitting. Martin observed the batter’s field was greater earlier than the following sport and had the umpires measure it.

Wills was fired quickly after and ended his managerial profession with a 26-56 file.

Wills spent the following few years coping with drug and alcohol points. David Shaw of The Occasions wrote in 1991 that Wills “spent greater than $1 million on cocaine, generally, staying excessive for 10 days at a time, locking himself in his house alone for months.”

Lastly, Wills entered a substance abuse program after an intervention by former teammates Tommy Davis and Don Newcombe. He turned a valued spring coaching coach for the crew, educating baserunning and stealing fundamentals to whoever was good sufficient to hear, together with a younger Dave Roberts. Roberts wears No. 30 to honor Wills.

“He simply beloved the sport of baseball, beloved working and beloved the connection with gamers,” Roberts mentioned. “We spent lots of time collectively. He confirmed me tips on how to respect my craft and what it's to be a giant leaguer. He simply beloved to show. So I believe lots of the place I get my pleasure, my ardour and my love for the gamers is from Maury.

“And in a wierd manner, I believe I enriched his post-baseball profession so far as watching each sport I performed or managed. I keep in mind even throughout video games I performed, he’d come down from the suite and inform me I have to bunt extra, I would like to do that or that. ... A coach would say, ‘Maury is on the finish of the dugout and desires to speak to you.’

“It simply confirmed that he was in it with me, and to today, he could be there cheering for me.”

Similar to followers cheered “Go Maury Go” a few years in the past.

Maury Wills answered your questions

In Sept. 2021, Wills answered questions posed by readers of this text. His solutions are reprinted under:

Ray Pacini of Newport Seashore asks: Who was the hardest pitcher to hit and who was the hardest pitcher to steal off of?

Wills: I suppose Larry Jackson. He’s the reply to each. If I bought successful or stole a base, then the following time up he made me skip rope or really feel the implications another manner. (Editor’s be aware: Wills was 36 for 136 in opposition to Jackson, with two extra-base hits and three walks).

Michael Ward of Santa Barbara asks: Who was the simplest pitcher to steal on?

Wills: Most of them, actually!

Glen Riley asks: How essential was it so that you can have Jim Gilliam hitting behind you?

Wills: Essential. He took pitches for me, he watched pitches go by [that] he might hit in an effort to give me an opportunity to steal. He knew tips on how to block catchers with out being known as for interference. And he by no means complained about doing all this. He would do something it took to assist the crew win, even when it meant sacrificing private glory.

Marc Josloff of Freeport, N.Y., asks: How do you make peace with the truth that you haven’t been voted in to the Corridor of Fame up to now?

Wills: I don’t give it some thought. I’m simply grateful that I’m nonetheless right here and after I look again at my profession I've a little bit chuckle.

Don Wanlass asks: What was the perfect Dodger crew you performed on?

Wills: I by no means have a look at it that manner. I loved each Dodgers crew I performed on. They have been all good. I keep in mind taking part in within the Coliseum in entrance of 90,000 individuals. Earlier than that, the largest crowd I performed for was 1,500. Think about the sound of 90,000 individuals saying “Go, Maury, go.” I knew I had a house.

Dozens of individuals requested: What did you assume when the Giants watered down the basepath between first and second to maintain you from stealing?

Wills: I used to be flattered that they might undergo all that hassle to attempt to cease me. Base stealing is one other sport all by itself. A sport inside a sport. I used to be the mouse and the cats have been attempting to get me.

The speech Wills wished to provide

The Dodgers honored Wills on the stadium this 12 months, however sadly he was unable to attend. As a substitute, he was form sufficient to share, completely with Dodgers Dugout readers, the speech he would have given:

“For way back to I can keep in mind, I wished to be a baseball participant. I used to be taking part in sandlot baseball earlier than I had a pair of sneakers. Not cleats – sneakers, interval. And from the age of 14, when my hero, Jackie Robinson, turned a Dodger, I wished to be a Dodger. I spent 9 years within the minor leagues ready for that probability, and eventually made it. So, like Lou Gehrig, I’m one of many luckiest guys on the earth. I thank God for lots of people in my life. I had fantastic dad and mom, I've marvelous youngsters and grandchildren. I want I might identify all of them, however you’d be right here all evening, and also you’d a lot quite watch the sport. So, listed here are just some:

Jerry Priddy, who, after I was 11, was the primary particular person to inform me that I had the expertise to turn out to be a superb ballplayer. (He additionally requested me why I used to be barefoot.)

Rex Bowen and John Curry, who introduced me into the Dodgers group within the first place.

Bobby Bragan, who taught me tips on how to swap hit.

Walter Alston, who inspired me to steal bases.

Fred Claire, and particularly Don Newcombe, who saved my life by getting me right into a rehab program.

Sandy Koufax, Don Newcombe, Tommy Davis, John Roseboro, Willie Davis, Don Drysdale, Dave Roberts and John Boggs, for being such nice pals.

“The Los Angeles Dodgers, who gave me not solely my first probability however second, third, a number of possibilities at an important profession.

“Dodgers followers, who inspired me time and time once more to provide my all. On days after I was actually hurting, listening to “Go! Go! Go, Maury, go!” saved me operating.

“And final, however definitely not least, is my fantastic spouse, Carla, who has introduced me a lot pleasure for the final 15 years.

“I wouldn’t be right here immediately if my pals, with the assistance of God, and a few fantastic organizations that wish to stay nameless, hadn’t actually saved my life. Please, if somebody with a substance abuse drawback, assist them save their lives too.

“I want for every of you to have as lucky a life as I've had. God bless the Los Angeles Dodgers. And will God bless you all.”

Up subsequent

Tonight: St. Louis (*Jose Quintana, 5-6, 3.16 ERA) at Dodgers (TBD), 7 p.m., SportsNet LA, AM 570, KTNQ 1020

Saturday: St. Louis (*Jordan Montgomery, 8-5, 3.26 ERA) at Dodgers (TBD), 6 p.m., SportsNet LA, AM 570, KTNQ 1020

Sunday: St. Louis (Adam Wainwright, 11-9, 3.29 ERA) at Dodgers (TBD), 1 p.m., SportsNet LA, AM 570, KTNQ 1020

*-left-handed

Tales you may need missed

Plaschke: Maury Wills stole Dodger followers’ hearts. Modified the sport. Not sufficient for Corridor of Fame

Maury Wills, legendary base stealer for Dodgers, dies at 89

And eventually

Maury Wills instructs at spring coaching. Watch and hear right here.

Till subsequent time...

Have a remark or one thing you’d prefer to see in a future Dodgers publication? Electronic mail me at houston.mitchell@latimes.com, and observe me on Twitter at @latimeshouston. To get this text in your inbox, click on right here.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post