Letters to the Editor: Why I am telling my neighbors that Kevin de León must resign

Protesters hold signs reading "Kevin de León is a liar" and "KDL must resign" during Tuesday's L.A. City Council meeting.
Protesters name for the resignation of Councilmember Kevin de León throughout Tuesday’s L.A. Metropolis Council assembly.
(Gary Coronado / Los Angeles Occasions)

To the editor: Councilman Kevin de León, you knocked on my door whenever you have been working for workplace. You listened, and I used to be impressed. Now, I'm heartbroken that you're not the Los Angeles Metropolis Council member I assumed I had helped elect. (“Gov. Newsom calls on L.A. Metropolis Councilmen De León and Cedillo to resign over racist audio leak,” Oct. 23)

Final weekend, I went up and down our block, knocked on doorways and left notes describing why you'll be able to not characterize us. I talked to an elder whose household has had a enterprise on Olvera Avenue for 3 generations. I talked to a household doctor holding her toddler and a pair engaged on their mom’s home. I talked to a screenwriter and a homemaker. Each single certainly one of them stated: It's essential to go.

This actually is painful for all of us. Resign, then make amends. Your political profession could also be over, or possibly you'll be able to present the general public a extra moral chief who can watch his phrases and rise up for what’s proper.

However first, resign.

Betsy Hanger, Los Angeles

..

To the editor: In 2017, my daughter was a political science and sociology main at Cal State Los Angeles. A passionate progressive activist who was contemplating a future in politics, she jumped on the alternative to volunteer for De León’s underdog marketing campaign to unseat Sen. Dianne Feinstein.

She remained a supporter when he introduced his run for mayor, urging everybody in our household to affix her regardless of Rep. Karen Bass’ lead within the polls.

When the information of the leaked audio emerged and I requested her how she felt, her reply stated all of it: “I’m not shocked. There actually are not any good folks in politics.”

Daybreak Halloran, North Hollywood

..

To the editor: I’ve lived in Los Angeles metro space since 1984. I’m from the Midwest, from a “chocolate metropolis” on the time I grew up. I'm a Black girl.

I've discovered it tough for Black folks to acquire employment on this metropolis. I've been by means of a lot by the hands of Latinos ganging up on me on the job. I do know many different Black women and men who've gone by means of horrid persecution on the job.

I might write and share instance after instance over time, at numerous locations of employment. Because of this, I by no means even discuss on the job besides to say “hello” and “bye.” I do know I work in hostile territory.

I'm not shocked at what was stated by former Councilwoman Nury Martinez and Councilmen Kevin de León and Gil Cedillo. Black folks don’t get any respect. I’m not shocked in any respect.

Denise Lewis, Compton

..

To the editor: De León should resign just because he will likely be beholden to everybody he insulted, and that’s not proper both. There isn't a method round it.

An apology tour doesn’t lower it. Time to maneuver on.

Mike Mislinay, Ventura

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post