I'm a private chef in the Hamptons and New York City. Here are 9 things about my job that might surprise you.



headshot of meredith hayden


Whereas working as a non-public chef on the stunning house of a rich consumer could look like a dream job, it isn't all the time as glamorous as you may assume.

Meredith Hayden, a non-public chef and recipe developer — who is predicated in New York Metropolis and works with purchasers there and within the Hamptons — spoke to Insider earlier than her look on the 2023 South Seaside Wine & Meals Pageant in February and shared particulars about what it is actually prefer to be a non-public chef.

Listed below are issues it's possible you'll discover shocking a couple of personal chef's job, in response to Hayden.

No two private-chef jobs are the identical, however you simply may get to reside along with your consumer part-time

Hayden shares her experiences as a live-in personal chef on her Instagram web page, however personal cooks work in a wide range of circumstances.

"Working as a non-public chef goes far past simply meal prepping and catering," she stated. "There are, which I've documented on my social media, live-in alternatives. There are additionally full-time year-long contracts that individuals can rent you for," she added.

Whereas some purchasers ask personal cooks to reside and work of their properties, others may ask them to return in as soon as every week and meal-prep dishes that they will warmth up all through the week, she stated.

A non-public chef's schedule could change with the seasons

Throughout the summer time, Hayden normally lives on the Hamptons house of her main consumer — whom she didn't establish — on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. She'll additionally work summer time holidays like Labor Day or the Fourth of July.

Nevertheless, her schedule through the low season is vastly completely different as a result of her purchasers entertain much less.

"They actually simply want me to organize meals for them to eat all through the week," she stated, including that she may simply work on a Monday to organize these meals.

Shoppers may invite cooks to share meals with them

Hayden stated that through the summer time, she is invited to eat on the desk along with her purchasers. Nevertheless, she added that is "positively not the norm within the trade."

"I feel I am most likely the one [private chef] I do know who does this," she stated. "I think about myself very fortunate to work for such wonderful those who have welcomed me into their house as a part of the household," she added. "Clearly, each expertise is completely different simply because it's a case-by-case foundation regarding the relationship between a non-public chef and their consumer."

Nevertheless, cooks must be ready to work alone

"Once more, I feel everybody has their very own particular person expertise, relying on their relationship with their consumer in addition to the assist that they've inside their workforce," Hayden stated.

In some instances, a full workers — together with servers and individuals who assist with kitchen prep — will work for a consumer. However that is not typical in Hayden's expertise.

"That is solely occurred to me as soon as, the place they've already had individuals there to assist me," she stated. "Aside from that, I am sometimes on my own all through most of my job."

In consequence, working as a non-public chef includes lengthy, laborious hours

Hayden stated that whereas it is a blessing to have the ability to go to native farmers' markets within the Hamptons and "put together stunning meals in stunning properties," the hours are lengthy and laborious. A few of that's as a result of she works alone, she stated.

"I by no means actually needed to determine my very own private-chef or catering enterprise, so I've by no means actually employed individuals to hitch me and develop my enterprise that manner," Hayden stated.

"I feel that there are cases through which cooks have plenty of assist that may make their day slightly bit simpler, however general, it is positively not as glamorous because it appears, I feel," she stated.

TikTok has allowed Hayden the chance to solely work with one consumer

 

In terms of constructing her model and enterprise, Hayden is not shy in regards to the function social media has performed in permitting her to take her private-chef enterprise from a facet hustle to a full-time job. Due to sponsorships, Hayden stated she has been in a position to simply work with one consumer and complement her revenue with the cash she earns from her TikTok.

"Prior to now, I'd be juggling a number of purchasers at a time, however with TikTok, I have been in a position to keep on with my main consumer completely," she informed Insider. 

Personal cooks can cost greater than Hayden initially realized

"Again earlier than I began doing TikTok and dealing as a non-public chef was my solely supply of revenue, I had zero information of what anybody else was charging," she stated. "The one information I had was how a lot I wanted to be charging so as to pay my payments."

She began out by "working backward" and charging purchasers based mostly on the minimal amount of cash she wanted to make that month. Hayden later realized she was considerably undercharging for her providers.

"I wasn't actually making out or getting wealthy off of those gigs within the slightest," she stated. 

"I believed that I used to be being so slick with, 'Oh, I'll cost them an additional 100 dollars right here and additional 100 dollars there.' However in actuality, the worth of the service that I had been offering was a lot greater than what I used to be charging," she added.

The "largest and most useful piece of recommendation" she's acquired was to cost her hourly providers individually from the price of her supplies. This helps cowl rising grocery costs, availability of elements, and last-minute menu modifications, she stated.

Restaurant cooks can double their wage by including private-chef gigs to their schedule

Hayden stated that though it took her some time to search out her footing and value her providers accurately, she's seen how profitable it may be for individuals who need to transition out of a typical restaurant-chef profession, particularly if they've a superb advertising technique and some starter purchasers.

"In the event that they're keen to take that leap and tackle these added tasks that include being a enterprise proprietor, it is potential to double your wage by doing private-chef gigs," Hayden informed Insider.

Regardless of cooking for a dwelling, Hayden nonetheless loves it and does not order takeout as typically as you may assume

After spending hours cooking within the kitchen for her purchasers, "spending one other half-hour standing up alone is simply distress in and of itself," Hayden stated, and the prospect of doing extra dishes is even much less interesting.

"In occasions like these, I attempt to be strategic with my leftovers, so I will normally make a bunch of soup and freeze it," she stated. "Then, if I do know I am having a busy week, I will take some soup out of the freezer and ensure I've that available for these sorts of nights."

"Cooking for a dwelling and dwelling on a price range has made me a bit extra reluctant to order takeout than most New York Metropolis individuals, simply because I see how costly it may be," Hayden stated. "I am extra more likely to top off on Dealer Joe's frozen meals to have, as an alternative of ordering takeout throughout these determined occasions."

Regardless of cooking for her profession, Hayden stated that she nonetheless loves it.

"It is actually extra only a matter of bodily and psychological exhaustion over every thing round cooking, however I nonetheless all the time take pleasure in cooking," she stated.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post