Letters to the Editor: What makes the 405 tolerable? Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre showed us

Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige and Snoop Dogg perform during halftime at the Super Bowl on Feb. 13.
Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Mary J. Blige and Snoop Dogg carry out throughout halftime on the Tremendous Bowl on Feb. 13.
(Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Instances)

To the editor: The Tremendous Bowl halftime present elicited an emotion that shocked me. It introduced again recollections of my depressing afternoon commute on the 405 Freeway. Now retired, I’d forgotten how pleasurable, even cathartic, listening to this hip-hop was as I sat in my automotive going nowhere. (“Lastly, the world noticed the exuberance of Black life celebrated at Inglewood’s Tremendous Bowl,” column, Feb. 14)

It’s true that some hip-hop of that period was violent, misogynistic and homophobic. However that’s not what I used to be listening to on Energy 106 as I stared at miles of brake lights.

I heard Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Eminem laying down the very model they did on Sunday. I couldn’t get sufficient of these distinctive rhymes and compelling beats then, and they're as wealthy on reflection.

By the way, I’m a white, middle-class homosexual man. That music spoke to me, undoubtedly otherwise than it did to Black youngsters within the space, but it surely spoke nonetheless.

That’s what artwork does when it rises above prejudice; it brings folks collectively.

Thomas Bailey, Lengthy Seaside

..

To the editor: Sure, Black life took middle stage on the Tremendous Bowl, from the onerous work of Inglewood officers who made SoFi Stadium occur, to the celebration suites of Black celebrities from all walks of life, to the events hosted by Blacks, together with each the Style of Inglewood Huge Recreation Competition and the live performance on the Pacific Design Middle in West Hollywood.

But Banks talked about solely the halftime present, the place she stated the “model, soundtrack and shine of Black life had been exuberantly displayed.” I suppose she missed Inglewood’s personal Mary Mary singing “Carry Each Voice and Sing” exterior SoFi, or Mickey Guyton singing the nationwide anthem.

Sure, highlighting hip-hop was lengthy overdue, however “Black creativity” was on full show in all its multifaceted dimensions.

Aldra Allison, Altadena

..

To the editor: Because of Banks for her column on the Tremendous Bowl halftime present. My daughter, two granddaughters and I watched, and all of us liked it.

As Banks wrote, “Black creativity drives tradition change.”

Janice Belsky, Encino

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post